Friday, May 29, 2009

News Log #7

Alexa Holzberg

Journalism Period 1

5/29/09

 

Gay Male Voted Prom Queen in L.A.

National News/Weird News

http://news.aol.com/article/gay-male-teen-prom-queen/502830

 

In Los Angeles, California, an openly gay teen was voted prom queen at Los Angeles' Fairfax High School in a campaign. The campaign first began as a stunt but ended up igniting discussion on the campus about gender roles and teen popularity. Sergio Garcia, 18, was crowned queen Saturday night at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. A few days earlier Garcia said, “At one time, prom may have been a big popularity contest where the best-looking guy or girl were crowned king and queen. Things have changed and it's no longer just about who has the most friends or who wears the coolest clothes," Garcia told a gymnasium full of seniors. "I'm not your typical prom queen candidate. There's more to me than meets the eye." He also added, “"I will be wearing a suit," he said. "But don't be fooled, deep down I am a queen."

 

I think that what Garcia said was a really good statement. Prom queen/king really is so much more than who is the best-looking person. I think that it was very brave of him to accept this award, knowing that it would stir up a lot of conversation. I wonder how the kids at his school felt and if they were opposed to the idea, or supported it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment