Friday, May 29, 2009

News Log #6

Alexa Holzberg

May 28, 2009

Journalism Period 1

 

States: No smiling in license photos

By Matt Helms (Free Press)

http://www.freep.com/article/20090527/COL12/90527073/1081/States++No+smiling+in+license+photos

 

Some states are not allowing people to smile while they are getting their pictures taken for their licenses. USA reports that in Arkansas, Indiana, Nevada, and Virginia, this has become enacted. Every other state so far in the United States doesn’t have this law. It may sound silly, but it’s a matter of national security. USA Today says facial-recognition computer software used to stop one person from taking out multiple licenses works best if the facial expression is the same.

I think that this article is unusual. Everywhere else in the United States you are allowed to smile in your license picture. I wonder if they’re going to make this rule mandatory for all states. If it’s for a safety purpose then I think that it should apply to all states and not just those 4. Lastly, I don’t understand why somebody would want more than one license. I guess people can use it to accomplish bad things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment