Tara Parker-Pope
The New York Times
Numerous studies show that people with a tight knit group of friends are more likely to be physically and emotionally more stable in life. Studies also show that people with close friends with healthy relationships are more likely to get less colds, because their stress levels are lower. The article shares a story of a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer. It showed that she got better because of the help of her friends supporting her and showing their love by sending gifts and visiting. The article mainly emphasized that it wasn't family or a spouse that was essential, it was the closeness and support of friends that was really key to different people's recoveries.
I found this article to be very true. I know that whenever there is drama or problems going on with my friends, I get really upset and my equilibrium is thrown off. Things are just so much more relaxed and not tense when everything is going right with your friends. I think it's because you know that your family is always going to be your family, but your friends are the other special people in your lives that make room for you to care for and support. I really liked this article because it made me feel good to no that friends can have such a positive effect on people's lives.
Yes, friends are SO important, and when there is tension between them (or us), it can really throw us off balance. But likewise, good friends always come through in a pinch and can be so helpful and healing, like they were for this woman in battling her disease. Nice comment!
ReplyDelete